Tuesday, August 08, 2006

can we all just agree that there is absolutely no excuse* for not switching to cfls?

seriously.  my friends at environmental defense just emailed me
to let me know that "If every US household replaced three 60-watt
incandescent bulbs with CFLs, it would be like taking 3.5 million
cars off the roads!"

DO IT. it's cheap and easy and it will save you money and everybody pollution.
do it NOW.
*okay okay okay fine. maybe, just maybe, if you have a dimmer fixture that you love/can't get rid of...that is the only excuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That the swirling fluorescent tube that replaces a lightbulb ? Nice, but my eyes don't much like them for reading.
I see photosensitive nightlights are available, too. They turn themselves on and off.
Off at a tangent: I received notice from my lady relatives working in medicine that using a microwave on food in a plastic container would release carcinogens into it. Unsafe.

sarah said...

there are actual lightbulbs that replace lightbulbs, and they don't give off the same kind of light that the long fluorescent tubes do. which would be a bummer if they did, because then my entire house would be lit like a drugstore. sad!

i haven't noticed much of a difference with the bulbs, but they are SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT that i think i would try to use them even if there seemed to be a big difference.

and i never microwave in plastic! but thank you for the tip. i think it's really dangerous!

i do microwave my kitchen sponge, from time to time, when i want to zap all the germies.