Sunday, January 21, 2007

can we all just agree that bicycle crashes aren't very cool?

i totally wiped out tonight turning left through a major intersection. i was wearing a helmet, gloves, and my brand new kneewarmers, and i was really glad about all of those. i skinned my hand, bloodied my knees, banged my chin (i'm going to have the kind of facial bruising that makes strangers wonder if i am a victim of relationship violence), and hit my head real good. my bike is fine, but it and i both flew a bit. but i was with a good friend, and then another good friend came to get us in his station wagon and then fed us dinner. but it was still kind of lame.

when i took off my kneewarmers (which somehow miraculously didn't tear even though my knees did), there was a bunch of skin stuck to one of them! gross!

2 comments:

Ed W said...

So why did you fall, Sarah? Knowing that is key to avoiding similar mishaps in the future.

sarah said...

i fell because i was going too fast and took the turn too wide, and i rode really fast into a tall curb. and boy, does my neck feel weird.

but in terms of lessons for the future, going a little slower (not fun!), turning a little sharper, and trying to be more strategic about where i could bail could potentially be helpful.