Tuesday, May 16, 2006

can we all just agree that the perils of working with children are varied and occasionally humorous?

so sometimes i stick things to myself and totally forget about them. i'll be the one who walks out of a workshop or special event with the HELLO MY NAME IS SARAH MEOW* nametag smack dab on the front of my shirt, and i'll wonder why people are looking at me funny and why that one weird dude on the bus seems to be calling my name...creepy!

anyway, today one of the kids gave me a shiny easter egg sticker. i thanked her and tried to figure out where i was going to put it (sometimes i put stickers on my clipboard, but i'm not really into seasonal stickers out of season, so i tend to stick those on my clothes because then i don't feel as bad about getting rid of them). i settled on the dot over the i on my tee shirt, where the name of the agency for which i work was written in large white letters.

fast forward 4 hours to me at the checkout of the large grocery store near my house, wondering why the cashier is looking at my shirt and at me that way. i wonder if maybe he knows someone who works there or a kid who is part of one of their programs (it's a fairly large agency and very well-loved by lots of folks; its cult following has been the basis for a lot of warm conversations between me and customer service people who were pretty terse before they found out where i work), or maybe he's trying to figure out what it means (the name is potentially misunderstandable), or maybe he just thinks it's appropriate to stare intently at my chest, then stare some more, and follow that up with a little more staring, and then to look me square in the eye and smile.

fast forward again to 2 hours later, when i happen to glance in the bathroom mirror and realize that the cashier was looking at me like that because he was really confused about why that part of my shirt was so shiny and brightly colored, and then after that, because he realized that it was just a metallic easter egg sticker. ah. yes.

*where MEOW=my actual real last name

No comments: