Monday, March 05, 2007

can we all just agree that i am pushing the frontiers of dream technology?

so i've been having really strange dreams for almost my whole life. (like the minotaur dream when i was in the first grade. i still remember that dream, and think about it sometimes during the day, and that it was terrifying. totally terrifying.)

it's 5:20, and i'm awake right now because of a really strange dream occurrance i just had that was really strange even for me. i was having a long dream in which i was buying things from a bike shop several times (don't ask, it made sense while it was happening) while watching someone recount (with photos) a trip to a concert that was also combined with waiting at the emergency room...except that the concert and the e-room trip were occurring not only concurrently with each other, but with the show-and-tell photo time. confused already? i'm not!

but here's the really weird part: i ended up waking myself up by crying out, because i started having two distinct dreams at once. i was going up into the balcony section of a giant theater to get someone out of my luggage, having brought overnight stuff to this concert, but then left it in one of several unused balconies. i flipped the light switch, but it was slow to turn on, and i started up the stairs anyway. i heard another person who was also ascending the stairs to the same room for which i was bound. i simultaneously experienced that person's experience of climbing the stairs, but taking a slightly different route. as two distinct people who could only hear one another and not really see each other (it was nighttime, and quite dark in the middle of the old, huge theater). one of me (the one of me most closely resembling not-asleep me) became genuinely concerned that the other of me (who was a male) might pose a threat to first me (because, you know, encountering strange men when you're all by yourself, no one knows where you are, it's dark and you can't see, and everything around you is stairs isn't exactly the ideal state of affairs.) first one of me tried to avoid second one of me, but at a stairway landing we collided, and first one of me was so afraid that i cried out in real life, and i woke up terrified. like afraid to turn on the light, afraid to walk to the bathroom, afraid to leave the bathroom terrified.

so, that is what happened. i had three dreams at once (bike shop, emergency room, concert), which didn't really surprise me, but then i was two people at once. and it wasn't like i was switching back and forth between them. i was having both experiences simultaneously, and they were completely separate. separate enough for me to be terrified by my experience of the other being, who i also was completely. and that is just crazy. also crazy is that i'm sick and my alarm isn't supposed to go off until 11:30 because i need to sleep off whatever ridiculous lung ailment i'm experiencing right now. i am going back to bed, because i'm now awake enough to not be really scared (since it was just a dream.) so, dear readers, i hope you've enjoyed my first foray into mostly-asleep rambly dream blogging. goodnight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you ever talk about yourself in the third person?

sarah said...

nope. not since junior high. how about you?

Anonymous said...

no, the anonymous commenter never does that.

sarah said...

cool.